||Montgomery and Prince George's County, Maryland
||Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA)
Maryland Transportation Authority (MdTA)
The Intercounty Connector (ICC) is a toll highway under construction in Maryland. The road will link existing and proposed development areas between the I-270/I-370 and I-95/US 1 corridors within central and eastern Montgomery County and northwestern Prince George's County.
The finished highway will be approximately 18 miles in length, and have six lanes in total. The ICC was initially planned as spur off of the region's proposed second Beltway. The ICC project has been the focus of various studies and debates since the 1950s and finally started construction in 2007. The finished highway will have a variable tolling structure based on peak and off-peak travel times. Toll collection will be fully electronic, allowing toll collection without significant traffic delays. The road is also expected to stimulate new transit growth through the creation of additional express bus routes along the corridor.
||$2.566 billion (current cost to complete per the 2008 financial plan)
- GARVEE bonds - $750 million (backed by future Federal aid receipts)
- Special Federal funds - $19 million (National Corridor Planning and Border Infrastructure Program funding, SAFETEA-LU National Corridor Improvement Program and high priority project funding)
- Additional funds from GARVEE sale - $17 million
- MdTA Toll Revenue bonds - $716 million (backed by future MdTA system toll revenue)
- TIFIA loan - $516 million (backed by future MdTA system toll revenue)
- State of Maryland Transportation Trust Fund - $180 million (motor fuel tax receipts, motor vehicle excise taxes, motor vehicle fees, corporate income taxes, operating revenues)
- State of Maryland General Fund - $265 million
Future Anticipated Funding - $103 million
A Joint Venture of Granite Construction Company, Corman Construction, Inc., and G.A. & F.C. Wagman, Inc.
A Joint Venture of Kiewit Southern Co., Corman Construction, and G.A. & F.C. Wagman Inc.
A Joint Venture of Shirley Contracting Company, LLC; Clark Construction Group, LLC; Guy F. Atkinson Construction, LLC; Facchina Construction Company, Inc. and Trumbull Corporation
||Bondholders, USDOT TIFIA
|Duration / Status
||The Final Environmental Impact Statement was approved in January 2006 and Record of Decision was issued in May, 2006. Construction began in mid- 2007. The mainline road is scheduled to be complete in late 2011.
||Committed funding has been secured for 96% of the total project cost.
- One of a few projects that take advantage of a direct TIFIA loan
- Successful issuance of $750 million in GARVEE bonds to support the construction of the project
|Related Links / Articles
ICC Purpose and Need Statement
2008 ICC Financial Plan
||ICC Project Team Contact Information
Tel: (866) 462-0020